Industry Trends: Your Documentary Video Production Partner
Documentary-style videos are the latest trend to hit the marketing industry. And we’re not talking a 30-second advertisement, but videos that go into the two-minute mark to tell a story that engages viewers and encourages them to stay until the end.
BEHIND THE DOCUMENTARY TREND IN THE VIDEO PRODUCTION INDUSTRY
More than 15 years ago, BMW released a video series to promote its brand. While it wasn’t shot in the documentary style, it did signal the shift in companies advertising their products with techniques we associate with the film industry.
What’s interesting is the popularity of documentaries—which has increased from 5% to 18% in releases—has coincided with this latest trend in the video production industry: The corporate documentary. Why are companies going for a more authentic and realistic look in their promotions? Because consumers respond to it.
Think about how viewers react to video testimonials. They’re 40 times more likely to be shared across social media, plus have an 89% effectiveness rating, which emphasizes how people see testimonials as an honest opinion of your business. And it’s not by chance that many documentary video productions feature testimonials.
2 FEATURES OF A DOCUMENTARY VIDEO PRODUCTION
Documentaries are pretty recognizable. If we popped in a documentary-style video, it’d probably only take you a few seconds to guess you were watching one. So what makes a documentary a documentary? Here are two distinguishable features:
- Conversational: While questions are scripted for documentaries, the answers given are more natural. Interviewees are responding in an honest and authentic way, which viewers recognize. In some cases, people may prepare their responses for a more intentional style.
- Unconventional: Video productions tend to include multiple takes of scenes, whereas documentary-style productions are filmed in the moment, without any retakes. It’s a bit unconventional, but it contributes to that overall goal of giving an honest depiction of what’s going on right then, right there.
4 USES OF VIDEO PRODUCTION WITH A DOCUMENTARY STYLE
With its unscripted discussions and realistic feel, video production with a documentary style is useful for accomplishing several different goals, including:
- Generating brand awareness
- Building brand loyalty
- Maintaining existing client relationships
- Introducing new services or products
What’s interesting about a corporate documentary is that your story can be just about anything. Church’s Chicken, for instance, created a series about speed drumming, which they connected to their product—chicken—through drumsticks.
2 EXAMPLES OF DOCUMENTARY-STYLE VIDEO PRODUCTIONS
Here are two samples of documentary-style video productions we’ve worked on for clients:
- Make Global Local: This campaign for the DC Education Fund took on a unique twist by providing the students (who benefited from the fund) an opportunity to travel abroad and tell their unique stories behind the lens.
- CREF Careers: This documentary-style video is all about connecting with millennials and recruiting new talent to our client’s industry. It contains some scripted instances, but also candid moments that bring that authentic factor to the forefront.
And with 80% of today’s online traffic being for videos, we think it’s safe to say that more trends in the video production industry are bound to come around. Right now, though, documentary video productions are a smart choice when you want a video that resonates and connects with your audience.
READY TO CREATE YOUR NEW PROMOTIONAL VIDEO?
Looking to hire a documentary film crew for your company’s next promotional video? Think about bringing our award-winning team of nerds onboard to help you plan, strategize, produce, and deliver your organization's next video—The LAI Video team has a long and proven history of creating documentary-style videos and bringing creative visions to life for various large corporations, associations, non-profits, and academic institutions across the country.
Check out our video portfolio to see more examples of documentary-style video productions we have helped our clients create and deploy in the past.
Ready to get started? Contact us today to learn more!
To get in touch with a member of our team right now, you can also call us at 202-416-4660, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, live chat with us online, or fill out the form at the bottom of the page and our team will reach back out to you directly in 24-hours or less.